Artisan Interview: Steven Bader of Bar9LDesigns


I am so very fortunate to have the opportunity to meet the most amazing small business artisans through my Sea-Gypsy page. Each one has inspired me, in their own way, with their personal expression and dedication to their chosen art form.

When I happened to come across a picture of  a pair of hand-tooled wedge "shooties," I knew I had discovered something very special. And, that hunch was proven right when the pic went viral, after posting it on my page.

I don't think I need to tell you that it was a delight for me to make contact with the artist, himself. And, to find that he was willing to grant me an interview, more than made my day.

So, I'm more than excited to have the opportunity to introduce to you Steven Bader of Bar9LDesigns.


SG: Tell me a little bit about when you decided to go “pro” in the sense of when you decided to dedicate yourself to your art/business. Give us a little example of what that meant to you. (What pushed your creating from amateur level to professional?)

Steven: So when I was about 10 years old my dad gave me his leather tools and I started tooling leather. However, I didn’t have all the right tools and teachers to excel at that age. I just lost interest. Bar 9L Designs started for me not long after I moved to Alaska from Colorado and began working for my father-in-law’s leather business where we produce large quantities of leather items. One day, I got to looking at my wallet I had from one of my buddies and wanted to make myself my own. So, I picked up some of the tools at the shop and built one after hours. Eventually, I had small orders for wallets and other small items. But, once I opened my Etsy shop, it wasn’t long before I had orders for other unique projects. I then made my wife a pair of sandals she wanted, surprised myself after I completed them, and knew I had it in me to be known as a great leather worker. I decided from there to step it up and make a living working with leather and bring my inner artistic ability out. From that point on I started making high-end western fashion footwear for women. I still make wallets, portfolios, belts, dog collars, and basically anything my customer wants. 


SG: Was there someone you admired when you were young that inspired you to be an artist yourself?

Steven: Growing up with my grandpa really inspired me to be an artist. He was a wood carver and was know as one of the greats in Southern Colorado. I can remember going into the garage to help him, carving my own pieces, and just being with him gave me that inspiration to be an artist. Working with my hands really just runs in my family. In school I enjoyed drawing, building furniture, welding, or anything that needed to be done on our ranch. I have worked hard to get my leather-work where it is today, and will keep working hard to keep improving.


SG: Do you remember the first piece you created that you were really proud of? That piece that made you say, "Yes, this is my calling; I am an artist!"

Steven: So, the first piece that really surprised me were the sandals I built for my wife. Basically that set the bar for my leather-work and just wanted to keep building sandals and flip flops to keep raising that bar. I recently set that bar even higher with the Custom Hand Tooled Wedge Sandal that went viral on social media. The day before I posted the pictures of that famous wedge, I had about 20 views on my Etsy page. And, the day of the posting, I had 20,000+ views. I have a lot of things I want to get out to the public eye; I just have to find some extra time to get that done.


SG: Was there a moment or a decision you made in your career that you feel was a personal success? When did you know that you had something special?

Steven: Repeat customers, all the positive comments, my past on the rodeo trail, being raised on my ranch, and my family really helped me to get where I am today. I have only been doing leather-work for about a year and a half. So, to see my first piece I made compared to the piece I’m working on today really just shows me my hard work is paying off. After I complete an order it really just blows my mind to see the finished product. So, from the very first piece, today's piece, and future pieces, shows me I have something special. 


SG: Can you share a story of a time in your journey when you encountered a big set-back or experienced failure, and most importantly, what did you take away from that experience?

Steven: The whole process of tooling any piece is time consuming and tedious. It is really hard to build custom footwear for anyone if you don’t have him or her there to try them on. Even today, I learn something new when I get a piece done. I have spent a lot of time building things for my wife to make sure all my designs work before I offer them to the public. I want my leather-work and products to be known as some of the best. So, I work hard to make them that way. 


SG: What are you working on right now, or what are you currently obsessed with?

Steven: Today, I am working on a Custom Hand Tooled Wedge Sandal, my new Converse shoe line, and some things I will get out very soon. I am obsessed with the Converse line and my Famous Hand Tooled Leather Wedge Sandal. There have been a lot of leather workers that tooled a piece of leather and sewed it to the Sperry boat shoe. I just wanted to be different and came up with something new that hasn’t been done yet. I tooled a piece of leather and sewed it to the Converse Hi-Top classic. I feel like I have been branched into a new direction with these two products. 


SG: What is your dream project? If there were no restrictions on time or money what would you create?

Steven: So, I really don’t have a dream project. But, my dream is to be one of the best leather-workers around. I want to be known for my quality, attention to detail, and customer service. I stand behind my work and work on anything throughout the lifetime of the piece. 


SG: What’s the one piece that you’ve created that you will always keep?

Steven: This is a really hard question because I don’t want to stop building any of my products. I believe if I had to choose the famous hand tooled wedge sandal would always be a piece I will offer. 


SG: How do you keep your creative spark/ What keeps you fascinated? What inspires you?

Steven: The positive vibes from everyone has kept me motivated to keep me inspired. You know from your customers if your work is paying off. The thing that inspires me is my past. Growing up on my ranch is what built me. So, from there, I will build something special like that for my customers. 

SG: What is your vision for your business?

Steven: My vision for my business is making something that someone will have forever made with my hands. I personally build these for that specific person. I draw every design to accommodate that person and to keep every piece unique. It takes that special person to appreciate what goes into any of my pieces. I vision my pieces having numbers to make them connect with my customers and make them special. It’s about quality and not quantity. 


SG: How does it make you feel to know that others are wearing the pieces you've created?

Steven: To know someone is wearing something I drew up and actually built with my two hands is amazing! I really don’t care how much time I need to invest to keep improving my pieces. I want my work to be known for comfort, quality, and artistic design. I want to be known as one of the greatest Sheridan Style Carvers. 


SG: Can you describe a single habit that you strongly believe contributes to your success?

Steven: I believe growing up on my ranch with my grandpa carving sculptures out of wood, riding bulls at the age of 8, being involved in junior rodeo, high school rodeo, college rodeo, and entering my first pro rodeo has been a HUGE influence on my work. If something needs to be done I DO IT! I developed this skill that will make me successful from my parents, grandparents, and how I was raised!

Thank you, Steven! We so appreciate you taking the time and energy to grant us an opportunity to get to know you, and to catch a little behind the scenes glimpse into your life, and what inspires such amazing creativity, and beautiful pieces.

I hope you all enjoyed this! It's a real privilege to have the chance to see what inspires individuals to do what they do. And, to experience the stories that have served to make them the artisan that they are, today.

You can find Steven's work on his Etsy page at Bar9LDesigns. He also has a website at https://www.bar9ldesigns.com, and can be reached via phone at 907-854-9296.

Please be so kind as to let me know if you are enjoying these interviews... I know that I am.

XO

CJ
aka Sea-Gypsy 💗

Comments

Popular Posts