Artisan Interview: Daniela of Sea Gypsy Clothing, Australia






It's a funny story, how our long-distance relationship first got started. Me, on the Florida Coast of North America. And, her... traveling from market to market in Australia.

We both had Facebook pages. And both, unknowingly, shared the affectionate name of "Sea Gypsy."

People in America were confusing her with me, and the same was happening in Australia. I had no idea why people kept calling me, "Daniela," and asking about some dude named Mambo.

Then, almost two years ago, a beautiful soul reached out to me on my Facebook page to introduce herself... the rest is history.

We have nurtured a beautiful friendship that spans the ocean. Always encouraging me, inspiring me, and believing that I can do great things. 

So, when I decided to expand myself, and begin posting interviews with amazing artistic souls, Daniela was the first one I reached out to.

The following is my very first artisan interview. And, I couldn't think of a better way to start:



Me: What or who inspires you, the most?

Daniela: Sea Gypsy was inspired by my memories of growing up in the carefree ‘60s and ‘70s. I was blessed with a beautiful childhood full of road trips, long summers at the beach and picnics in my dad’s Kombi (a type of campervan popular here in Australia). I wanted to design clothes that evoke those dreamy summer days when any adventure was possible.



Me: What keeps you going when times seem rough?

Daniela: My family, of course, and my wonderful partner, who has earned the nickname Mambo for being a dashing Italian who I just adore. I also love just relaxing on the couch patting my cat… sometimes it’s as easy as that. Getting my hands into the soil or getting into nature also does wonders for my soul. At the end of the day all I need is to spend some time by the sea. A day at the beach cleanses away worries. It’s like a meditation for me.



Me: How did you get started?

Daniela: As a child my mother would take me to a fabulous flea market in Melbourne, Australia on Sunday mornings. The colours, the bargains and the interesting bohemian people were so intriguing to me at a young age. I fell in love with the vibe and as soon as I could get my hands on some secondhand clothes I started my own weekly stall at age 13. I sold whatever beautiful things I could get my hands on, mostly clothes taken straight from my mother's closet. When I became a sole parent in my twenties, I returned to my love of markets and started selling secondhand lace, aprons and vintage clothing in order to survive. Over the years I became more and more comfortable with my own unique style and wanted to share it with others. Sea Gypsy was born out of a lifetime of learning to love my unique personality, and I so enjoy meeting other women who respond to that.



Me: What is your vision for your clothing line?

Daniela: Sea Gypsy is designed for making women feel playful, fun, and adventurous, no matter their age. I can tell that my inner essence hasn’t changed since I was a spunky 16 year old frolicking on the beach, except that as time goes on I feel more beautiful and confident every day. As women, I don’t think we need to cut off our hair and wear sweater sets and stockings as we get older. Women of any age should be able to put on something cute and easy and feel like the world is theirs to enjoy. I want our collection to reflect and nurture the confidence that comes with age. Sea Gypsy clothes are designed to become a part of you, a way to express your spark and your unique personality through your daily wardrobe.

With all our emphasis on play, everything in the Sea Gypsy range needs to be comfortable and soft and natural. Our clothes are intentionally rough and tumble—they’re unbelievably easy to care for and come in beautiful faded colours. Each piece is just as good for gardening and playing in the house as it is for going out to dinner or a party. They’re designed to be clothes you can get dirty, throw in the wash, and then have fun in all over again. Sea Gypsy items are long-lasting treasures that can bring back memories of favourite adventures for years to come.

The simple, refined lines of Sea Gypsy mean our clothes are everyday pieces that work amazingly together. You can mix and match freely across our entire collection and come out looking fabulous no matter what you choose. We focus on simple but flattering shapes that let women to feel free and be comfortable in our changing bodies. The simplicity also allows you to add your own touch of creativity to every piece you buy. We encourage women to add delicate details to their items, like a scrap of lace, a patch, a knot, embroidery, or even some dye. We think of our items as a beautiful blank canvas waiting for you to make your individual mark.

At the same time, we take care to make sure each Sea Gypsy piece comes from natural materials and is made to last. We use vegetable dyes whenever possible, and we’re hard at work sourcing the softest, most natural organic cotton so your clothes can be both beautiful and environmentally friendly. We’ve got big plans for the future of the Sea Gypsy range and are so excited to see the labours of our love come to fruition.



Me: When did you know that you had something special with your line?

Daniela: As soon as I started to see a real sisterhood forming around Sea Gypsy. For me, it is so special to be in contact with so many beloved sisters. I grew up with two brothers and always dreamed of having a sister. Now I have so many deep connections with other Sea Gypsy Sisters—we’ve bonded over our love for having fun and the carefree clothes that make it possible. Our Facebook page attracts a spunky bunch and I love the community we’ve formed online as well as at pop-up shops. It’s so beautiful to have a space to connect and sharing memories of the good ol days and feeling like we are all in this together. We’re always giving each other encouragement. There is a large group of us girls born in the ‘60s and ‘70s who are still beach babes, who love long hair and daisies and frolicking at the beach. We bring that ‘60s freedom from our childhood into the way we dress now, which makes it really fun.



Me: How does it feel to know that someone is wearing what you designed?

Daniela: Overwhelming, really! At our pop-up shops and festivals ladies turn up in their Sea Gypsy outfits and I am always blown away at the amazing ways they have made Sea Gypsy clothing their own. I really enjoy seeing the way that each woman’s creativity shines through in her clothing choices—mixing and matching between ranges with items collected over the years, pairing our pieces with an old cardigan or a tribal necklace, tying knots to adjust the length, or even adding patches of lace to cover a hole or stain. Sea Gypsy sisters are really creative with the clothing and it inspires and delights me every time. Each one’s personality shines through and they give me great ideas and help me come up with the next collection. It’s like my sisters are designing with me.



Me: What colors most inspire you?


Daniela: Of course, pastels. I love the colours of faded beach houses, shells and sunrises. I’m always drawn to well-made clothes that get better with time—those special pieces in your wardrobe that are so worn and pale and soft that they feel like a part of you.


Thank you, sweet Daniela, for offering me this opportunity to share your precious spirit with others.

Daniela is also offering a give-away of $150 in Sea Gypsy Clothing! Check out the link on my Facebook page at Sea-Gypsy, to learn how you can enter. Also, you should really look up Daniela's gorgeous website at Sea Gypsy Clothing.

I hope you enjoyed this post. It's only the first of monthly artisan interviews that I have already scheduled. Lots of beautiful people with gorgeous pieces, just waiting for you to experience for yourself.

xo,

CJ

Comments

  1. Love this woman so glad to call her my ftiend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this woman so glad to call her my ftiend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts