Artisan Interview: Lea of Lea Spirit Jewelry

As I continue on through my life's journey, I'm so fortunate to meet the most amazing souls along the way. Lea is one of those beautiful and gracious people who are passionate about their craft and sharing their love of life in every piece they create.

I was so excited when she said she was willing to open up and share about her own personal journey.




Me: Tell me a little bit about when you decided to go “pro” in the sense of when you decided to dedicate yourself to your art/business. Give us a little example of what that meant to you. (What pushed your creating from amateur level to professional?) 

Lea: Throughout my life I’ve made occasional crystal and gemstone jewelry pieces for friends and family but it was the middle of last year in 2015 when my husband lost his job that I really felt empowered to make Lea Spirit into something bigger and more meaningful. It has meant everything to me! We live in a time and place where bringing some extra positivity and healing into the world is so badly needed. Lea Spirit’s motto is “making the world a better place, one crystal at a time”. That’s my mission and the purpose of each unique piece I craft. 


Me: Was there someone you admired when you were young that inspired you to be an artist yourself? 


Lea: For me, it runs in the family. Growing up in Japan, my mother and aunts loved to handcraft all sorts of things, from dolls to clay ornaments. They were spiritual and earthy in their craft. I was exposed to this growing up and it helped mold me into the artist I am today. 




Me: Do you remember the first piece you created that you were really proud of? That piece that made you say, "Yes, this is my calling; I am an artist!" 

Lea: My first memorable piece was a druzy bracelet I made over five years ago. I loved it so much that I couldn’t part with it. I still have it and wear it almost every day as inspiration. 



Me: Was there a moment or a decision you made in your career that you feel was a personal success? When did you know that you had something special? 

Lea: Feedback from friends and family helped give me the confidence to finally launch the Lea Spirit line, but it was the overwhelming positive response and repeat business from complete strangers (my cherished customers) all over the world that validated what I was doing. That’s when I knew I had something special.   


Me: Can you share a story of a time in your journey when you encountered a big set-back or experienced failure, and most importantly, what did you take away from that experience? 


Lea: The process of making handcrafted jewelry inherently comes with A LOT of trial and error, especially when customizing natural stones and crystals. I’ve invested a tremendous amount of hard work and experimentation into perfecting my product. I’ve had failures along the way which energized me to re-examine and improve the process. Today, I’ve perfected the process of creating stunning, high-quality, and personally meaningful pieces for my customers. 





Me: What are you working on right now, or what are you currently obsessed with? 

Lea: My obsession right now is creating raw, untreated family birthstone pieces. It’s fun to collaborate with a customer on a very personal level to create a piece that represents the family and can become a cherished heirloom. Along with my signature opal pieces these are very popular. 

Me: What is your dream project? If there were no restrictions on time or money what would you create? 

Lea: Managing Lea Spirit online is very demanding and consumes all of my time. If time wasn’t a factor, I’d love to branch out into events/shows and brick-and-mortar stores. Almost daily I receive inbound inquiries from boutiques, specialty stores, and events/shows from all over the United States interested in my items. There are many groups and causes I’d love to align Lea Spirit with.    

Me: What’s the one piece that you’ve created that you will always keep? 

Lea: The first druzy bracelet I created over five years ago. It’s very special to me and I wear it nearly every day. It’s a constant reminder of where I started.  




Me: How do you keep your creative spark/ What keeps you fascinated? What inspires you? 

Lea: My inspiration is earth and nature and bringing goodness into the world. Customizing truly unique and one-of-a-kind pieces for my customers that carry the power of the Earth. The stones and crystals used in my pieces are sourced from all over the world and each has a special meaning and purpose. 

Me: What is your vision for your line? 

Lea: Stunning, spiritual pieces fashioned with raw stones and crystals. Cuff bracelets are my signature item, but my vision is to bring this spirituality to rings, earrings, and necklaces as well.  

Me: How does it make you feel to know that others are wearing the pieces you've created? 

Lea: It gives me so much pride and joy! I truly feel like I’m helping to bring positivity and healing into the world. Some customers love the Boho, trendy look of the piece. Others want a piece that has deep meaning such as a family bracelet, a love/romance bracelet, a meditation bracelet, a bracelet to help ease sickness, and many others.    




Me: Can you describe a single habit that you strongly believe contributes to your success? 

Lea: Growing up in Tokyo I was obsessed with staying on top of fashion trends. I practically lived in boutiques and spent hours on end combing through top fashion magazines. It’s a habit and pastime I brought with me to the United States. It helped develop my vision and artistry and gave me the foundation I needed to fuse fashion with nature.


Lea has such a gift. Her pieces are of a very personal nature, and you feel the love every time you wear one of her creations.

You can find her on her website at Lea Spirit, her Amazon shop, and her Etsy shop. 

I hope you enjoyed this insight into another amazing artisan's life. 

And, thank you, Lea... you're a gift!

xo,

CJ

Comments

Popular Posts