Simple DIY: Denim and Cameo Choker


My amazing youngest daughter, affectionately known to my Sea-Gypsy followers as, "Lil' Miss Wanderlust," surprised me on Christmas night with tickets for us to see Stevie Nicks in concert. I was as giddy as a school girl, realizing that I was going to finally get to see my favorite performer... EVER!! Yes, you can call me a full on fanatic for Stevie and Fleetwood Mac. That's ok... I know who I am.

Anyway, I didn't even know what I was going to wear until the day before. (I'm a procrastinator like that.) While everyone else, that I knew was going, had already carefully chosen their outfits, I was still trying to decide. This was Stevie, for goodness sake!

So, once I finally figured out the outfit, I needed the perfect accessories. I wanted something outstanding for my neck. Nothing that I already had seemed to play off my dress the way I wanted it to. So, I just took the situation into my own hands and came up with a bad-ass denim choker with one of my cameos pinned to it. It was quick and easy. And, I thought you might like to try it out. Let's get started!


First, you will want to choose whatever denim you would like to use. I just utilized the legs off of some jeans that I had cut into shorts. (BTW... Sampson says, "Hi!")


Then, you will want to measure out the length of the choker... whatever feels right for your neck. What was comfortable for me was 21 inches in length. You will want to use the length along the seam, as it makes for a nice, strong knot in the back.


Next, you will need to determine the width and length of the front and side of the choker. I went with 1 and 1/2 inches wide (top to bottom), and 10 inches long (This is not counting the additional inches that make up the full 21 inches in length. This is just for the wide band... not including the straps that will be used for tying a knot in the back.)


(See how the remaining 21 inches is used for a tie in the back of the neck?) I didn't want to sew, or mess with fancy closures or clasps. I just found it easier to be able to tie a knot to hold it on.



Once you have your choker cut out, it's time to distress. With the distressing, it doesn't really matter if the lines you cut are perfection. It's just going to end up frayed, anyway. 

Take a razor blade and cut slits wherever you would like. Also, pull threads from the edges of the choker. When you are finished, throw it in the wash with a towel load, then in the dryer. The towels will aid in the distressing. Once you pull it out of the dryer, it will be frayed and distressed to perfection.



Next, just choose a cameo, or whatever brooch you love to wear. You don't even need one, if you prefer to wear it plain. It looks awesome, like that, as well.

If you do choose to wear a brooch on it, just center it and pin it.


Those long straps that were left hanging out on the sides, those are your straps to tie in the back, like so:


That's it! So easy and so cool! The great thing about this project is that you can also wear it as a denim cuff!


I hope you enjoyed this! If you choose make one, please let me know and post a pic of the finished product in the comments, or on my page at http://facebook.com/seagypsysvardo.

I know it's been almost a year since I've last posted to my blog. I do apologize. I've just had a crazy year with my job, and it cut into a lot of my creative time and energy. But, I'm back at it. And, will post at least every other week.

Also, keep checking as I will be having additional artisan interviews. They are in the process, at this moment. And, there will be contests underway...Yay you!!

Hope you guys have a fab day!

XO


Comments

Popular Posts